Looking towards the communication lock which leads the Birmingham Canal through to the Worcester & Birmingham Canal. The buildings on the right front on to Gas Street
Until 1815, when the new lock was constructed, this was a physical barrier called Worcester Bar, this is still in place and runs from the base of the new bridge to the bank adjacent to the James Brindley Pub. Loaded boats from both canals had to off load their cargo and transfer it to other boats by hand, a situation which exasperated all concerned.
The bridge was built with the advent of redevelopment in the Gas Street area, prior to that there was a plank which was swung to one side when boats passed.