Looking towards the communication lock which leads the Birmingham Canal through to the Worcester & Birmingham Canal. The buildings on the right front on to Gas Street
Until 1815, when the new lock was constructed, this was a physical barrier called Worcester Bar, this is still in place and runs from the base of the new bridge to the bank adjacent to the James Brindley Pub. Loaded boats from both canals had to off load their cargo and transfer it to other boats by hand, a situation which exasperated all concerned.
The bridge was built with the advent of redevelopment in the Gas Street area, prior to that there was a plank which was swung to one side when boats passed.
The Birmingham Main Line looking towards Wolverhampton. The image was taken less than 200 yds. from the new developments at Oozell Street Loop, the cut off being St. Vincent Street Bridge, which is situated just behind the photographer.
The bridge over the towpath, since blocked off, would have led to a basin serving the factories, there are many such bridges throughout the Birmingham canal system some are still open.
This image was taken from under St. Vincent bridge which takes St. Vincent Street over the Birmingham Canal Main Line in the Ladywood area of the city.
The view looks towards the new development of apartments that were constructed around the Oozells Street Loop and shows the new bridge built off the original abutments, in place since the straightening of the main line in 1827 by Thomas Telford.